The Process

This project was started in January 2018 and completed in March 2019. I worked on some part of this project nearly every day. At the outset, I decided to create deadlines in three month increments, then adjust as needed.

Overall, I’m really happy with how the project ultimately turned out, and how the deadlines worked out. However, I do wish I’d more time for playtesting.

January – March: Background research
April – June: Basic card design, such as mechanics and creature size
July – September: Refine card design, play test, being flavor text, begin art
October – December: Send card text to editor, finish art
January: Print cards, begin accompanying stories
February: Finish stories; send to editor
March: Assemble materials

Background Research
Background research including reading up on Wizards of the Coast’s design process, color pie theory, looking at sets similar to what I wanted to design (both official and fan-made), as well as reading Celtic and cyberpunk stories.

Card Design
I followed Wizard’s design skeleton for card breakdown. A percentage were reprints and functional reprints. Most cards went through several drafts, which I tracked in a master spreadsheet.

Play Test
I hand wrote each card onto a note card, then brought them to my local game store and played with friends.

Art
I wanted to create unique art for each card. I started taking art classes. I had hoped to be able to draw most, if not all, of the images, but my ambition exceeded my ability. Instead, a majority of the cards feature digital photo manipulations (but still created by me!).

Editing
I hired an editor for the card text (and the stories). A few typos still made it into the final product, but having a professional editor was amazing.

Printing
I debated about where/how to get the set printed. I ultimately decided to use several online companies that specialize in printing games.